• sarah@healingeyes.org

series of events

series of events

Recap on the weekends series of unfornuate events are as follows (via the perspective of Sarah the caregiver)..

Saturday evening noticed a change in andy’s behavior and pain level. He had a small fever, more confused than usual, and the new pain meds weren’t cutting it. So as a frantic wife does I called up the emergency doctor on call that evening. An hour later we were back to nothing.. the fever was gone and the doctor saw no cause for us to fret.

Night progressed.. I took my sleeping pill and dozed off.. I then remember andy standing over me saying ‘wake up..mumble mumble..something about egyptians’. Ok that made no sense. I stumble up and see what is going on. Andy is standing in the kitchen and he looks feverish and in pain. I grab the good ole thermometer and yup 101 degrees. Ok not panicking yet since thats not the magic number.

To anyone who doesn’t know the magic number you are told when you are on Chemotherapy it is 100.5.

Few minutes later I check again.. 101 .. then 101.99 .. then 103 .. then 103.99. Ok now something is definitely wrong. Start calling the doctors and then wait for one of them to call back. Meanwhile I check again and his fever is dropping.. GREAT .. now when a doctor calls me back I’ll look like a fool because he has no fever.

Eventually someone calls me back. Not the doctor I was hoping for but good enough..we get the cue to go to the ER. I start pacing back and forth, which hospital (because we have 2 different doctors at different hospitals). My gut says go to St Mary’s ER because that’s where the surgery was and that’s where the most number of doctors are that know us. Plus if we get admitted than I already know the place like the back of my hand.

I drag Andy to the car, he isn’t very coherent which makes it actually easy to persuade him to come with me. We pull into the ER drop off zone and Andy steps out of the car where a security officer grabs him a wheelchair..I leave him behind and find a parking spot. We’ve doen this before so I have my emergency bag of knitting to keep me busy that I run to the main door with. I find him at the front desk talking to the receptionist. The lady asks our name and asks our problem. I say ‘CANCER’ long pause  ‘FEVER’  long pause ‘Insurance card please’. The receptionist asks what type of cancer, I guess she had cancer and wanted to tell us to stay positive. Yea ok, thanks.. we’ll do that right after we get thru this lady.

It must have been a slow morning because no one else was there.. we were brought right back to a private room and the questions began, the several nurses and various doctors of different specialities started there list of questions. Bla Bla Bla.. yes.. cancer.. yes.. no stomach.. yes fever.. yes I brought all his medications let me just spill them all out on the counter for you.

I learned there is such a thing as a portable X-ray machine! and I can’t be in the room when they do it, it’s quite interesting they wheel this large thing in and then turn the lights off and everyone steps out (except the patient ha) and then the push the bottom from this long extension cord that looked like an old rotary phone cord.

Next thing I learned was what ‘Full Code’ means. It means yes please save his life at all costs, electric paddles and all. I guess we signed something saying that last time we were there and they wanted to confirm because Andy’s heart rate was ‘Full Flow’ (another new term meaning his heart was beating very very fast). His oxygen levels were dangerously low too, this was all very fascinating as they rattled on about heart rates and no oxygen and full code and save his life.. I of course said Yes please keep him alive:)

We had hoped we wouldn’t stay long but when you come in with these symptoms and you are still recovering from chemo they don’t let you walk out. We were admitted back to the ICU room. Down the hall from where we were during the surgery months before. We even had the same nurse as last time during the day shift…funny…full circle.

The official diagnosis reads : Fever, unknown cause. Some doctors said Pneumonia and some said nah it was just a little fluid in the lung. Either way it was something and some sort of infection but a butt load of antibiotics were prescribed… and then halted .. and then I’m not sure but the IV bags did lessen. Two days later we are free. Back to nurse Sarah and assistant Miko… and mopey Yoshi.

Healing Eyes
Healing Eyes

1 Comment so far

NotDownOrOutPosted on  2:56 am - Apr 3, 2013

Sending hopeful messages your way!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: